Dodging a Bullet

In the world of a child that has severe allergies, every situation and scenario has the potential to be deadly. Itchy, my (ALMOST) 6 year old, has blessed me with the NEED to learn more, find more, be more aggressive and assertive in our endeavor of....well life.

A little backgrounder info on Itchy. Ever since he was born, he has had AWFUL skin. I mean look at this - who wants their baby looking like THIS?! The dermatologists were baffled at why his skin was THIS bad.
At about 6-7 months old, he had finished eating some of those yummy gerber green beans and I gave him a biter biscuit while I was washing the spoon. He gnawed on it and seemed to be enjoying it....until....I looked over and he had a FLAMING RED (yes even more red than that)circle around his mouth that almost went all the way over to his ears and up to his eyes.

We of course had him tested and based on a scale of 1-4 with 4 being the absolute worst, possible anaphylactic reaction, he had more 4's than he did 1's. 4's mean that the skin has inflammed, gotten red and gotten larger than a normal body reaction (H or histamine) to something 'undesired' by your system. One thing I am VERY proud of is the fact that I have taken pictures at EVERY allergist appt. I don't have them all on this puter, but here are a few to show you the 'damage'. This has helped PROVE to well intentioned family/friends that say 'just a little can't hurt him'....yyyyyeeeeah, and that big 'ole whallop on his back was less than a little and only on his skin, imagine what it'd do to him if he swallowed it!
2004-1.5 years old (2nd year year tested)

2005- 2.5 years old (third year tested)

2007-4.5 years old, we did the full shebang to check some that we'd waited a few years on. (5th year tested)


"Mrs. Nik, I hate to tell you this but he is fatally allergic to wheat, oat, barley, rye, peanuts, treenuts, and eggs....I repeat FATALLY" How do you respond to that? Thanks? Ok, have a good day? F-off?Nice to meet you? An allergists job is to tell you WHAT your allergens are with a general "avoid this, that or the other". Most environmental allergens get allergy medicine to help block, inhalers to help during rough patches and in some of the most severe cases, an epi-pen. They may even start a schedule of allergy shots or immunotherapy. Food allergies are a bit different, you either eat them or you don't. Have Benedryl and Epi-pens at the ready for when they consume something they shouldn't. HOWEVER, when they are THAT severe, coming in contact with them through touch brings a whole new awareness to the table (allergen free table of course). The only other thing you can do is pray and hope that your child outgrows SOMETHING. I'm asked a lot about the possibility of Itchy outgrowing these allergies. However the problem we have is a lot of his numbers (I'm talking skin AND blood test) are getting higher as he's aging, not dropping off the list. Regular stats show a child has an 80% chance to outgrow their food allergies (peanut excluded) by the time they are 5.

Itchy is REALLY good about letting others know he can't eat just anything...he'll say "that's not good for me" or "I don't KNOW if that's good for me". He always asks before he eats or drinks something and won't open anything (say for instance at the school) until I can check it for him. He's very understanding that he can go trick or treating - but when he gets home, he gets to open a candy gift (usually a box filled with candy he CAN have) and we just hand off his ToT winnings to his brother.

Yesterday was one of those days that something snuck up on us and I was glad to see he was a little 'scared' but also it broke my heart. He is SO good that contamination of his food or his area are so RARE. Yesterday we picked up some friends and did some fun things with them while their Jeep was getting fixed. We all went to Wendy's to eat because they DO have baked potatoes and that's the ONLY thing we are comfortable with Itchy getting outside of our house (fast food wise). He came over and said "Mommy, I'm still thirsty" and handed me an empty cup. The counter had given us an extra drink (sprite is the only thing he can have/like) so I just took his straw and stuck it in the big sprite. When he came back over with another empty cup - I noticed it was the same size as his FIRST cup. Turns out - he obliviously had picked up his friends drink and finished it off as the first cup. When I noticed there was brown juice on the lid of his first cup, my throat fell. Caramel coloring can be considered a wheat derivitive depending on origin, so we avoid 'brown' stuff as much as possible. "How much had he drank? Did he drink it at all? What was 'on' the straw when he drank it?" I pulled out the 'blue med bag" and HIS throat fell. He got a worried look on his face and realized the mistake he made. There was no need for me to give him the lecture, I knew he knew it...we'd probably have a small discussion at bedtime during story and prayer. With having so many unknowns, I immediately gave him some benedryl and hoped for the best. It was slightly a stressful afternoon because you just had this 'doom' lingering wondering if his body was going to take it to another level. THANKFULLY, everything went well and he just got a little glazed over and crabby while we were bowling.

Needless to say...WHEW! We dodged a bullet on THAT one!

10 Comments:

Dawn said...

Wow! That was lucky that you noticed the cup, but I guess you have to notice everything like that! To be allergic to so much has to be difficult but how awesome that your son "gets it" and handles it maturely and understands.

M-A said...

wow how stressful. I just think it's great that he understands

That is a great testament to you!

I'm glad everything was ok

thank you for your advice!

Carla said...

Wow...so glad everything ended up okay, but man...I would have been sweating with you. {hug}

Heather said...

OH, I just want to give you great big hugs. We have little friends with scary allergies (not as scary as Itchy's) and I know their mothers are on constant patrol. I'm so glad he was okay. He sounds like such a trooper.

Debbie said...

Wow. I am speechless and tears are filling up my eyes. I just feel for you and HIM. I had no idea that even soda could be a problem. Why oh why does this happen.

BBB said...

Cripes... that would be a scarey moment.

I think it's SO cool though that he's so responsible for his health and safety. Must come from having SUCH a great mom!!!

ugagirl30 said...

Oh, how scary!! Son and I both have extreme environmental allergies, but have yet to be tested for food allergies. My allergy test markers did not surface while we were at the doctor. It took two hours before they were evident and they were there for three weeks. Every. Single.One.of. Them.

I am so glad to hear that Itchy was fine, and that he is aware of his allergies. It's great that he is conscious enough of them to ask before he consumes things.

John Deere Mom said...

Oh my gosh. Those pics of the allergist testing are so sad! I never knew how serious allergies could be for kids...or how many things they could be allergic to. What a brave little man and mommy!

Tam said...

MY almost 3 year old had the worst skin ever....and well at 6 months old it was discovered about his allergies to the ingrediants in his HypoAllgenic Formula...it is a long winding story much like yours. Our allergies are whey, casein, meaning all COW MILK PRODUCTS ALL NUTS, ALL seafood, strawberries....and his numbers are still increasing...we go every six months and well fatal is a word they use with me so much....I could say so much here but I will stop...it would be so long...but YOU should see my childs skin when we was a baby....IT so so bad. COME to find out it was eczema and HIVES. It has been a learning experience big time. He also was delayed speech and sensory issues. I think it was because of the crying he did for 6 months of his life...the docs just said it was reflux, colic and eczema....NOW I KNOW BETTER. I have never posted about the traumatic expericene as my husband asked me not to post about it. OO yeah and the other weird thing is that HE IS NOT allergic to GOAT MILK...which he can drink...o yeah and soy..well he was negetive and then he came back showing a reaction now...how weird is that.

Becky W said...

My youngest son who will be 5 soon has many allergies as well - including life threatening peanut. He was allergic to eggs and soy, but "outgrew" those. He also gets allergy shots once a week. It is nice to know someone is out there who has a life like ours!