Down on the farm...

This should actually be the codeword between my husband and I for Girl's Night Out. He teases me all the time about my hen call cackles and teases me even more at the prospect of a gaggle of girls cackling. Well, we did it. I've become good friends with quite a few of the moms from Itchy's kindergarten class and we had a Girl's Night Out on Tuesday night. Dinner and a movie. YAY!

First of all, let me say...I'm not quite sure what awful world we live in - but it should be a PROSECUTABLE offense to anyone who tries to sabotage an evening on the farm. I love my children and all, but this includes them. It might be football time here in TN, but I really expect the local football team to put things on hold so I can enjoy my night of cackles and wine. SHAME ON THEM! So Cowboy had football practice AND a birthday party to go to...both of which could quite possibly slay Itchy with boredom but we (huh? did I say WE?) could handle juggling the events and make them all. Not to mention Itchy has some friends at the football fields. That lil math equation does NOT add Geekfish (DH) into the mix. Not just that, but it does not include Geekfish doing it alone. I could easily drag him along with me, but put the pressure on him to juggle it all, not a chance. Because my professional juggling skills were going to be better used down on the farm, a decision had to be made. Cowboy decided to forgo the birthday party and honor the football freaks of TN by committing to the football practice.

We started out with dinner at Genghis Grill which is WONDERFUL if you haven't tried it. One of the moms admitted to secretly laughing from the bathroom since she could hear us laughing all the way in there. Geekfish kept sending me cute little messages "I hope you're having a blast", "I can't wait to tell you a funny when I see you" "he came at me like a heat seeking missile" (talking about a person I had commented might want to talk to him). Geekfish and I get teased how we're always on the same page, earlier that night I had used the phrase "heat seeking missile" and the ladies laughed about it...imagine the laughter when I showed them the message he had sent. They made me go back and prove that I hadn't accidently called him and had him listening to our convesation. It quickly became the catch phrase of the evening.

I have to say - I'm not a big drinker, I think the last time I had a drink was at Christmas time when I had a few glasses of wine. So for me, that little inner voice whispered "go for the wine" and I listened. I got just one glass, but then I quickly noticed I was the ONLY one...out of 7 ladies, I'm the lush - GREAT! Maybe I should have waited until that little whispery inner voice was yelling at me. LOL It *WAS* a great glass of wine though! I can't help it if I would rather my farm be a winery.

I don't want to be THAT spoiler girl so I'll just say that we saw Mamma Mia! and it was cute, pretty funny in places, but not what I had imagined. I'll lay some haunting words out there though for those that go to see it - perhaps you can giggle when you realize what they mean....Bond will never look the same and that's not necessarily a good thing.

I followed one of the mom's home because I had informed her that her brake lights were out. We couldn't figure out what was best for the lead or following position....brake lights being out or expired tags. She stopped at a stop sign, jumped out and came back to talk to me. She said "you had a glass of wine at dinner didn't you?" and then she gave me a high five and told me that we'd have to go drinking margaritas some night. She said none of those ladies drink so she was happy to see that I did. I of course told her it's a good thing I got it AS I got my food and not before or I would have given EVERYONE in the restaurant reason to NOT drink.....EVER! I told her she should have listened to her inner whispery voice and been a lush with me.

When I got home, I was surprised Geekfish asked me why I was home so early....at 12:30. LOL Needless to say, I had a great time and can't wait for another outing. To me there is nothing more refreshing, liberating or more fun than a night down on the farm.

8 Comments:

BBB said...

Oh my STARS I am JEALOUS!! SOunds like such a perfect evening.

Aren't text messages fun? I love getting ones like that.

Now... WELCOME TO BLOGGER YOU CUTE THING YOU!!!!!!! You're going to love it here!!!

Dawn said...

Hi! I followed you over here from a comment you left on Lizzy's blog. Your profile caught my interest because I use to live in Tennessee and I work with special needs kids, so, I wanted to say hi!

Saving The Day said...

How fun, Nik! I've taken a fond interest in wine thanks to SSG Sully, who has lived in Europe until a year ago. My favorite (so far) is Australian Shiraz ... and Gouda to go with it.

So you can still stay up until 12:30?? Dang, girl! I need to hang out with you and build up my "wee hours" tolerance! LOL I'm afraid this old fart is usually too tired too early. ; )

MB said...

Oh Nikki you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind..hey Nikki....hey Nikki. LOVE YOUUUUUUU

M-A said...

sounds fantastic!

thanks for the advice
searching for one now :)
sometimes I forget to look outside the box :)

M-A

Tam said...

HI coame over from HTL....welcome to blogger.

Heather said...

It sounds like such a fun evening!! I'm not a huge wine drinker either, but sometimes it just sounds so good especially when you're out with the girls.

KWolfAK said...

You are the second person I've read today that saw Mamma Mia. I sooo have to see it. I have a major crush on Colin Firth!