Monday's Mangled Mumblings

Quick disclaimer, THIS POST IS PICTURE INTENSIVE!!

I'm not quite sure WHAT emotion and state of mind Monday's bring...but it's just something that needs it's own term. It can't be a hangover because that is usually induced by drinking...but what if it's just induced by life? or allergies? or being an idiot? or all three?? Regardless, we need a new term for it...maybe a Mangover. My current lovely mangover is caused by the fact that I was an idiot and forgot to take my allergy medicine before heading out to the polo fields yesterday.

Cowboy's riding instructor, T-Dawg, runs the local polo club so we join them when we can to help out. T-Dawg lets Cowboy be the flagboy, tack, rinse and walk the horses after each chukker so they can cool off and keep score. Each polo player brings two horses so the workload is pretty constant except when they are actually playing. T-Dawg confesses his adoration and amazement at Cowboys' riding abilities...it's a treat to hear him tell his polo Posse (the other polo players) "He's my best rider...and he's only 9!" The Posse have followed suit and trust Cowboy to help as well, they GREATLY appreciate the help and it gives them a chance to cool off themselves without having to work the horses. What's in it for us? Well, I can't tell you how much it means to ME - that T-Dawg and the Posse have that much trust and confidence in Cowboy's horsing mojo that they let him take care of their prized possessions... their horses. Cowboy is confident, comfortable and downright cute while he's out there. While horse 'tudes sometimes enter the puzzle, I love the fact that Cowboy never gets nervous or scared and calms them down. Of course usually 15 mins later I hear myself saying "Can you BELIEVE he just DID that?!?!" For him to have so many struggles in life, I love the fact that horses are his escape...I mean after all, they don't care if he can talk right, can hold a pencil right, can do a sit up and they don't ever tease him or call him names. I'm sure when Cowboy is older, he'll figure out my true motive, but for now I'm fine with him just thinking it's fun. T-Dawg has also mentioned he has no problem with Cowboy riding a beautiful mare called Mosquita (That's Cowboy feeding Mosquita...and yes that does end in A) whenever we can get out there on non-polo associated days. Free riding??? WHERE DO WE SIGN UP!?!? T-Dawg considers it 'helping work the horses'....I see it as "14k gold on a platter that saves us a bundle". Regardless, I'll be happy to drive out there several times a week...even if it does take us 40 mins to get out there!! Only problem is coinciding the times. Currently, we've been helping out there for two months, we just can't make it when T-Dawg is working the horses, soon to change though!

The polo club is currently located close to a cute little town. Nerdtacular (DH)and I are considering buying a house with property so we can get a horse for Cowboy. Said little town is almost the perfect location to fit all our 'location' criteria. Cowboy and I were a little early so we went and had breakfast in town. Here's a pic of the grocery/gas/restaurant place in town. Too cute. Friday nights they do 'family movies on the lawn' next door and it's just got a great feel to it. Cowboy and I felt the country love, I was just upset none of the other little stores and places were open. That's the first time we've ever stopped so that was a treat. It definitely spoke volumes while we were there.

I get asked every once in a while what form of horseback riding Cowboy does. Well he has ridden, and shown, english since he was 5. When we started riding with T-Dawg, he introduced him to western and he loves it. He still rides english once a week but I imagine if he pursues it much more, he'll go for the western pleasure and reigning activities. So that's the combo of Wranglers, cowboy boots and english riding jackets. LOL Obviously not at the same time, but you can just imagine our riding attire closet.

Cowboy walking Gypsy and Missy walking Loretta and Bates from the pasture to the prep area.


T-Dawg and Cowboy after they've washed Cooper off.


Cowboy walking 'his girl' Mosquita back to the pasture after a busy day.


I just liked this picture too. I'm in the truck driving up to the pasture while Cowboy walks 'Squita on our way out.



So while he works the horses AFTER each chukker, there's a small time when the Posse is playing that he gets a little bored. I usually give him camera control so I can see what fun he produces. I must say I was impressed with his interesting perspective yesterday! Take a look! I believe the only one I cropped was the one of the 3 polo players.

Obligatory self portrait (s) - it appears the first one didn't come out how he hoped.



Cooper - T-Dawgs horse

Gypsy - Missy's horse (She's actually a superstar - she was in the movie Witless Protection with Larry the Cable Guy and Jenny McCarthy - I know I haven't seen it either - guess I need to)

T-Dawg is on the far right on Bates, Missy is in the middle on Loretta and Jimbo is on Mosquita on the left.

I love Cowboy's reflection in this one!

Sam - I liked how he included part of a horse in this one too

This one is down the side of a horse trailer looking at the announcers stand that's midfield.

Anyway - that was our Sunday. I'll give all the details about the fishin AND mommy tournament tomorrow!

Hopefully YOUR Mangover is dissipating and you have a good day!

4 Comments:

Dawn said...

How great that Cowboy has such an interest in horses! They are so beautiful and he is a cute kid too! I love the little country store! Hope your Mangover is better!

M-A said...

Fantastic! I remember when he started :) we thought about doing the horse therapy thing with Messy, but she is terrified of them, we have horses next door to us and she loves to watch them from her window but if we are outside and one of them makes a sound she will run screaming. weird huh?

I love the pictures my fave is the dog :)

happy Mangover ROFL make me think about tropical fruit :)

John Deere Mom said...

Your blog is beautiful...as are your boys.

Saving The Day said...

Great pictures, Cowboy! He's got a good eye, Nik.

I've always admired the hippotheraphy he's been involved in. It is so amazing to me to see how far he's come! He really does have a gift with horses.