I *ALMOST* made it!!

Dang, I couldn't be any closer if I tried. Here we are...what....weeks away from the end of the year and I disqualified myself for "Mom of the Year" award. I was THIS CLOSE PEOPLE! I am GREATLY disappointed in myself. How on EARTH could I let my peeps down???

You see as I was waiting for the quiet calm of two sleeping boys to take over the house last night - I heard one shuffling around, climb out of bed and go into the bathroom. Fair enough...then he, Cowboy, approached me with a beautiful baby tooth. He must have been wiggling that thing big time while trying to get to sleep. So as I write this, I'm trying to come up with the best excuse for why the tooth fairy forgot to visit last night.

I'm thinking that 'because your head had already hit the pillow and sent the signal to tooth fairy headquarters - you had all your teeth - there are no re-submissions'. I could say the tooth fairy had her annual dentist checkup and it appears she was slacking this year....instead she was getting cavities filled. I could say there was a tooth losing epidemic in Ireland and she was too busy...she couldn't make it. She's not as quick or as good as Santa so every once in a while some kids have to wait until the next night. I could say that '4 mountain' (technical term I'm sure) teeth have last priority on the list since the kids are older and sometimes they have to wait for two nights....perhaps a week (figured I could cover myself in case I forget tonight). I mean, those teeth are bigger than your regular front teeth and require much more effort from the tooth fairy to carry them back to headquarters.

I could certainly sneak up there and swap it out now - but at this time of morning, he wakes up if I breath funny. I'd much rather try to follow a fib than get caught in the act of swapping. Plus, through my experience, it'd be easy to go up and swap out - if they hadn't of misplaced their tooth fairy pillow - we had to go with the tooth in a zippy under the pillow theory. I've learned that fishing under the pillow to FIND the tooth is just as hard sometimes (so you don't wake them up)...as say...remembering to be tooth fairy. I'm not sure which one I will use, I guess we'll see what actually comes out of my mouth when he asks....or better yet...oh, I might just be a genius...HOLD ON....maybe I should ask him why he thinks she didn't come. *smirk* Oh yeah, the genius is spilling - 'scuse me while I go clean up. Maybe I can still make "Mom of the Year" afterall ;>

13 Comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hard. We had a similar dilemna. My daughter lost her second tooth so we had to figure out how the tooth fairy could visit with no tooth. We settled on my daughter writing a letter and drawing a picture of a tooth.

Susie said...

You are so funny:-) What a fun quandry:-) What did you come up with.

Spirit of Ashes said...

Heh, the tooth fairy has forgotten (or been too broke at the moment LOL) to visit here several times now. I always say there must have been too many trips for her to make that night, so she'll be here tomorrow night. HA, I just remembered the last time was Halloween night, I told Dana that she must have been really busy with all the candy teeth that night. She immediately went and wrote "I did NOT loose this tooth because of CANDY!" on the bag. Guess she figured she'd better cover her bases.

(BTW, we leave the tooth in a ziploc bag hanging on the fridge door. No way am I rooting under their pillows in the middle of the night, they're all far too light sleepers.)

Jo-Jo said...

Oh my...you made me remember that my step-son lost his tooth here a few weeks ago. I, having no cash, told him that the tooth fairy wouldn't know he was here and had to take it home the next day. He forgot it and there is has set. Now don't you worry....I am not out of the running...your a shoo in!

CaraBee said...

Too funny! My husband is going to have to be the tooth fairy because I have the worst memory EVER.

Shannon said...

Too funny! I'm interested in hearing what happened...

Dawn said...

I can't wait to hear what you did! I'm surprised I never got caught making the switch!

Melissa B. said...

We've-I mean the Tooth Fairy's forgotten our kids before, too. When this happened, the TF usually paid double the next night. I was cleaning out a cabinet in the bathroom the other day, and found a little box full of baby teeth! I think my little engineer (who's now 18!) was fascinated by them and so she saved them. Sounds like great fodder for a post, doesn't it? AnyWho, please stop by today for my Silly Sunday Sweepstakes. I love to Share the Caption Love!

Nina said...

Don't feel bad.... My son lost his first tooth about a month ago and about 4 in the morning I wake up and ask my husband if he got it and put the money under the pillow. Of course he didn't so I go in their and can't find the tooth. The bag it was in fell behind the bed. I had to turn on the light and fish it out and was sure I would get caught. I was lucky and I didn't.

I hope you let us know how it turned out...

Saving The Day said...

Oh, how I can relate! LOL With all the toofs Beetle has been pulling out as of late, the forgetful toothfairy was bound to happen.

Be sure to let us know how it all turns out for Cowboy!

Aunt Julie said...

Oh, gosh, Guilty as Charged! If my kids had a quarter for every time the Tooth Fairy Forgot, they'd be pretty rich folks! BTW, I'm celebrating 150 Posts with an Award and a Pop'rs Giveaway...please come visit soon!

Tam said...

O MY GOSH....to funny!

Inspiration CAN be found EVERYWHERE said...

MMMM now I really need to know what came out of your mouth. Which "theory" did you come up with? I will say its really not that unusual for moms to sometimes forget - its not like we have anything else going on is there? But when I had this problem when my kids were small I would have a note typed up or in my case written with my left hand, that said Ms Tooth Fairy couldn't find the lost tooth, but since the Tooth Fairy community trusts that you will find it for us and leave it for us to pick up later - we left your payment "early".
Thankfully I didn't need to use that one too many times.