I have a confession to make....

I LUV the Titans. Yes that does say LUV because as I've been told by Itchy, that means you REALLY love something. At least that's his response when I try to get him to write LOVE vs LUV. So I LUV the Titans.

As a girl growing up in a burb of Dallas, you can imagine my love for the Cowboys. I never really cared for the Houston Oilers. Truth be told, I didn't care for their uniforms and that turned into me not liking them at all. We then moved to Tennessee and my love for the Cowboys stayed strong but I started breaking off a bit and actually being interested in what other teams did. Then 1995 came around and word got out that the Oilers were coming to TN in 1998 - what??? We were getting our own team?!?! YAYAYAY!! Then the thought crossed my mind, "What about those AWFUL uniforms though??"

It turns out - there WAS going to be a new name, logo, etc...because honestly TN Oilers just doesn't seem right. There was 1 year where we had the TN Oilers and that was while they were waiting for their new stadium to be built for the 1999 season and they played in Memphis. Tennesseans got to help choose the name of their new football team, I can remember the names Tornados, Rattlesnakes and Titans being the main front runners. The fans came up with the choices and I could be wrong but I think Bud Adams made the ultimate decision.

It was announced December 22nd at around 11:00-11:30 what the new name would be and they showed the first logo for the helmets. Seems kind of silly that I remember that date, but I was in labor with Cowboy and I looked at the clock - made Nerdish turn on the TV because I KNEW they were announcing it that day. I was so excited, well not that I still had 3.5 hours of labor still to go - but that I (we) now had a football team!

1999 is when they went to the Super Bowl and they had the Music City Miracle with hottie Frank Wycheck. I remember it being somewhat magical around town. TONS of Titans support all over the city. Several of the players lived in our neighborhood so we had signs at the entrance congratulating them on making it to the Super Bowl. It was COOL!

My interest waned a little (knocked down to love status) in 2004 when the team let go or traded a few of the players I really watched. Then PacMan Jones came around in I think 2005. My interest in the Titans shifted even more because through all the years, they've generally had a great group of guys and been on the more classy side of things.....but adding PacMan did not bode well with me after losing players like Derick Mason (who went to our church), Samari Rolle (whom we saw quite often) the year before. Both of those guys did a lot around our city, were genuine and didn't act gangsta every chance they got. I rejoiced the day Dallas took PacMan and returned my Titans obsession from love to LUV once again.

So that leads us to this year. I love football and I LUV that my Titans are 9-0 so far this year. They are partially mine BTW - I was one of those fans that suggested Titans. I'm happy that in the storm of the economic problems we're having and the the bickering and ill feelings elections bring - that our state once again has a euphoric feeling about our Titans. It feels downright good.

I love going to a 'fru-fru' (as Nerdfish called it the other day) restaurant after church on Sunday and them having TV's on all over the place with the Titans playing. Nothing says Fru Fru to me like being dressed up, eating great food, coloring on the paper table cloths and playing tic-tac-toe with the boys while watching the Titans. What a GREAT family moment! And the fried goat cheese salad is to DIE for! I sure hope my Titans finish up strong this year...that would make the salad even better.

So in closing - who/what do you LUV? (beside the obvious - family, friends, the Lord, etc)

6 Comments:

Susie said...

I LUV chocolate:-)

CaraBee said...

I LUV Dr. Pepper. Oh those 23 flavors. My story is a lot like yours. I grew up loving the Chiefs but moved to Baltimore in 1995. We got the Ravens in 1996 or so and had the name contest just like you guys did. So, although I still root for the Chiefs, my heart is with the Ravens.

BBB said...

I Luv The West Wing... and I just discovered it's on Bravo and I have my DVR set to tape it and I can't WAIT to watch it!!!

Jenny said...

Oh, I have lots of LUV's, but in the sporty spirit of your post, I'll say my LSU Tigers. Some might wonder why they're my team because I didn't go to LSU. But I grew up in Louisiana watching the games with my dad. I remember him taking me to the games and teaching me all about football. I guess it's just a good association I have. So, I LUV my Tigers. And even though they suffered a heartbreaking loss to Alabama this weekend, they forced the #1 team in the nation into overtime while playing with their 3rd string quarterback. What fighters!

Lauren W said...

I'm like Jenny. I have lots of LUVs.
For this particular post, though, I would say that I LUV the way sportsfans get into their team. Growing up, sometimes my birthday fell on the same day as the Superbowl (during what I like to call the "golden years" for Dallas). When that happened, I knew that I either needed to have my birthday party the day before, or just expect my dad to spend the time watching the game :)

Shannon said...

Mine would be more like what don't I LUV...

'Cause I LUV many things:

carbs
ice cold Coca-Cola (but not from a can)
The Office
blogging

...just to name a few!