Friday Foto Fiesta....Really? 20 years???


It's hard to believe my 20th high school reunion is this weekend. We will be on vacation so we won't make the reunions but so much has happened since then it's really hard to believe. If I could talk to that young lady today I would tell her so many things - the first being that she should really tame the hair a little - it's a look that people will cackle about for ages. Secondly I'd say I was FINALLY on the right track. I wasn't the best kid in high school by any means. My junior year I mastered the art of skipping (shopping was WAY more fun) and realized that I wouldn't have a chance of graduating if I stayed with the current group of kids at the current school. I decided to turn things around my senior year. I asked, err fought, the principal to get a special transfer to another school. My parents stood behind me but they did make it MY fight. I half believe they made me do it because they didn't think I could make it happen. Of course what I want to believe is they did it as one of those monumental life lessons that would effect me for the rest of my life. I had to plead my own case to the principal of the school I was leaving and to the principal of the school I was wanting to transfer to. I received my transfer and left all the kids I knew since elementary school to go to a new school for only a few hours a day (I was in the work program so I was out by 11:30). It was scary - but I knew I had to do it. Looking back, I'm so proud of myself for seeing what I had to do and attacking the situation. For seeing what I needed to do to better myself - not to have more fun while in school.


The other thing I would tell that young lady is to not sweat the small stuff and just ENJOY school. I know aging brings many blessings of knowledge and hind sight but I would definitely seek out a more positive way of thinking earlier in life. I'm sure the boys influenced that change in me a lot - but I just imagine my teens and 20's would be more fulfilling if I jumped to find the silver lining earlier. I'd also tell her the love of her life was picking her up later and to enjoy each moment even more. Now that I'm older, I look back and see moments in time when I COULD have embraced the moment more. Those small trips that Nerdlacious and I used to take, could have been relished more....I always enjoyed them but we didn't always push for the extreme experience. Doing another tank dive in Cancun, swimming with the dolphins in Hawaii - those are things I wish we had of just DONE instead of hem'd and haw'd about. We always thought "We'll come back and do it again some day" but the fact of the matter is - we're not SURE we will - we can only hope. Every day is unknown and it's outcome isn't in stone...live in the moment and to it's fullest, don't save it for another day. We now attack each day in this way and life is so much richer because of it - every experience means so much more.


SO this picture is my senior picture - it represents the end of the grade school era but it also represents my awakening to the truths I needed to face. The picture was taken at my old high school and was posted in their year book and didn't touch the pages of the school I actually did graduate from. Regardless of which year book has this picture - and how awful that 80's hair really is - I'm glad I'm me and I'm proud of the lessons I learned that year.

Join in on the Friday Foto Finish Fun that Candid Carrie organizes for us!

22 Comments:

Jen said...

That's such a wonderful picture of you! I just love looking back at old photos to see the 80's looks... I'll never forget the permed hair! Glad you were able to change things & become who you are today!

CaraBee said...

We have our 16th (poor planning, supposed to be 15th) reunion in a couple of weeks. Where has the time gone? I wish I could talk to young me. I was always so anxious and consumed with doubt. I wish I could say that things will work out, that the tough times don't last forever. I guess the lesson is that I should enjoy NOW because I don't want to be 20 years down the road and look back the same way.

Saving The Day said...

Such a great post, Nik. If I could go back 20 years and give myself some advice, I would tell myself not to get wrapped up in a certain romantic relationship. If I knew then how my struggle to make it work between us would turn me into someone who was insecure, unsure and confused, I wouldn't have invested so much into the relationship. Losing who I really was - a vibrant, confident young woman - wasn't worth it.

BTW - I love the mall hair! You pulled it off beautifully and I'm sure to the envy of all the other girls who were teasing and spraying their hair to get it as big, tall, and wide as possible. 80's hair ... fun times. LOL

Shannon said...

Oh, yeah... you were ROCKIN' the big hair :)

It would be awesome to be able to go back in time... just once, just to tell yourself the things you know now that you wish you knew then (did that make sense?)... but kudos to you for knowing at that age what you needed to change and do to become who you are today!

Have a good vacation :)

Lori said...

I never could get my bangs to do that... [sigh]

Susie said...

I LOVED big hair!! I also love letters to my younger self. I think it is very "full circle". We had our 20th reunion in the July:-) It was a blast!

Dawn said...

I love the picture and the big hair! You were very mature at that young age and made some very smart decisions. I wish i'd had your good sense!

Teri said...

It is so great that you are able to look back without beating yourself up. You made a courageous decision and stuck with it.

Love the hair!
Found you on Candid Carrie.

T said...

What a great post! Hey don't feel too bad one day that hair style would come back full circle and be the it thing agian! Always seems like that's what happens....I wore stuff in high school that my mom wore in high school! Stuff always comes back around!

Jess NBP said...

I just had my 5th yr reunion in june. i couldn't imagine what 15 out would look like on me. LOL

Lovely picture and story.
happy fx4

Cristin said...

Ah... the 80's hair... you wore it well...
I haven't been to any reunions... my 20th is coming up in a couple years.. I wonder if I'll go...

I know I won't be posting my yearbook picture!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, I loved the 80's and the height that went with the hair. What a nice reflection! I try to forget my highschool years and wouldn't go to my high school reunion even if it were in town. Not sure why I look back on it as painful....but I do. I like myself much better now.

MediMonsters said...

Coming in from Candid Carrie!! Great pics--love the 80s hair. TFS

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Wish I could go back and tell myself somethings and even change somethings. Loved the picture. Much Love!

Angie's Spot said...

Love the hair! There's so much I wish I could go back and tell myself, starting with the 15 year old me. Great post!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

If only we really could write a letter to our younger selves that we would've actually read to help us along a better path right? LOVE the hair hehehehe~!

Aunt Julie said...

Wow--I'll be Paula Abdul would covet that hair! Time flies, doesn't it? My Mom always used to say that she'd love to have the energy of her youth combined with the wisdom of her experience. I think I agree!

Rhonda said...

Good for you! I did the big school change too. I knew that was my only hope. At my old school I had a reputation as a bad girl, and that's hard to get past!
My parents also completely supported my decision!

Dawn said...

Just checking in on you! Haven't seen you around!

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aunt Julie said...

BTW, I'm hosting a Recipe Week on my blog, starting tomorrow. Please stop by and see what's cookin'!

Briana said...

I love this post. I keep getting drawn back to my HS days through facebook and all - watching old boyfriends and friends age. It's quite crazy! Sounds like you had quite a battle and got a lot of self-confidence because of it! Thanks for visiting me at BATW!!