Ya'll have heard me talk about Cowboy and how he has a kind, gentle heart. His love for animals (namely horses) supercedes anything in the human world. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure a horse could step on me and he'd ask the horse if it was ok. SERIOUSLY! Like I injured the darn horse or caused it to step on me! He's also got a soft spot for anyone that has special needs....as he's had a long and winding road himself. He definitely celebrates any obstacles they have overcome and helps them when he can. He had a friend that used a walker and he would come slamming into Cowboy to say hello and Cowboy wouldn't even flinch. Said friend now walks without a walker and every time Cowboy sees him he comments about how strong he's gotten - how awesome it is that he's walking without a walker and says how hard he must have worked. Find an animal that has special needs and it's GAME OVER. He still sends little letters to a horse (whose name is Courage) that we worked with 3 years ago that can't be riden because it was stepped on as a colt and has a deformed back because of it. Courage was shy until Cowboy started talking to him and feeding him. The occupational therapist that owns the horse (she intercepted him before he was put to sleep because of his deformity) called Cowboy a horse whisperer since he also helped her other horse.
So months and months ago we went to buy fish. He found a fish he REALLY wanted (just goldfish folks so it's not like we're spending a fortune). I told him he could pick two and Itchy could pick two. When they had both made their choices, we got the store clerk over to start the great chase to get the fish. I always feel like a dork when talking to those fish tank people...."hey my boys want only this one and that one....out of the 30 you have in here.....CATCH IT!!" I mean what do you say "oooh you almost got it!" "nope that's not it" Talk about putting pressure on someone! SHEESH!
When Cowboy points out which two he wants I say "whoa! Wait a second, you don't want that one...it's missing an eye, he could be really sick and make our other fish sick." I know there is some kind of mangled fish disease or injury that can take an eye and make it really gross. He proceeds to tell me that even a one eyed fish needs a good home. "yeah honey, but he might not live that long, you realize that don't you?" "yes I do, but I will love him for as long as he lives". Sheesh - can your own child make you feel insignificant enough?!?!
So now we have Cyclops who really only has one eye. You can't even tell where the other one was supposed to be...it's as if he was born with only one. Cyclops is still alive and kicking (or swimming in his case). We have to be careful when we feed the fish though - the other fish dart around and grab all the food - since Cyclops can't see on one side, he misses a lot of chances for food. We usually hang around and try to scare the other fish off until Cyclops has had a few bites to eat.
Nerdfish and I were laughing the other day how we somehow get the weird pets with some kind of quirk. He of course opened my eyes (I won't say that too loud) that Cowboy gets it from me. What is the saying....you reap what you sow??? Why.....because I found a BLIND ferret running through our neighborhood and I scooped it up and made it mine while Nerdfish and I were dating? Or what about that baby bunny that was being attacked by a mockingbird and I tried to nurse it to good health? The ferret lived for years and years....the rabbit made it two days. What about the time I cried...ok sobbed when I hit a DEAD deer on a dark highway? I also have a tendancy to "ditch the truck" (as Nerdfish would call it) to avoid hitting an animal. I beg to differ, I rarely cross the curb or side-line...I might throw someone through the windshield by braking - but rarely do I cross the line.
PISH!!! Yeah...Cowboy is NOTHING like me...........
He can't drive yet! o;>








7 Comments:
what a sweet kiddo, but I knew that :)
A blind ferret must have been interesting
"I'm pretty sure a horse could step on me and he'd ask the horse if it was ok. SERIOUSLY! Like I injured the darn horse or caused it to step on me"
That is the best line I have read all day!
That is so sweet!! He's looking out for the underdogs!!! (or ferrets, fish, etc)!!
What a sweet boy you're raising. Kudos to you. Compassion is a wonderful thing.
That Cowboy... what a sweetheart!
awww, both of you are so sweet (but I knew that already).
I have one word of advice, stay FAR away from the adoption photolistings. FAR away...and by all means keep Cowboy away and keep him from finding out for a few more years. It about broke JM's heart when he realized where Katie had lived and why. He cried. JM never ever cries.
We had a fish with one eye when we were kids, too & the silly thing lived forever! It was the coolest thing & all of our friends always wanted to see it when they were over. So neat that you have one, too... I've never seen another one.
It's amazing to me how much kids can open our eyes to seeing past hindrances. What a sweet boy! Enjoy those fish!
Post a Comment